Immmediate past speaker of the Cross River state House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. John Gaul Lebo of PDP has been declared winner of the Abi/Yakurr Federal Constituency 2019 election by
the Election Petition Tribunal, EPT sitting in Calabar, Cross River State.
The tribunal in her judgment on Wednesday, 4th September, 2019
sacked the APC’s Alex Egbonna who was declared winner by INEC .
In an earlier result, INEC declared through her returning officer, Prof. Chike Okpala, that Egbona polled a total of twenty-nine thousand, four hundred and thirty-two (29,432), while Gaul only garnered twenty-six thousand, nine hundred and seven-one (26,971) votes and the APC candidate was issued a Certificate of Return in March in Abuja to serve at the Green Chambers in the National.
But according to the panel, since there were evident discrepancies between what was found in the card readers and what was on the result sheets.
“Therefore, when all deductions are made, it is very clear that John Gaul is the winner of the election.”
To this effect the Tribunal declares as follows:
- The second respondent was not qualified to have contented the elections
- The votes reviews for him are declared defiet votes
- His declaration as the winner is hereby declared null and void
- The first respondent is hereby requested to return the certificate of return issued to him by INEC to the first petition.
- In his response to the victory at the Tribunal, John Gaul, commended the Tribunal Chairman and members for dispensing justice in the matter. He also thanked the people of his constituency for giving him the mandate at the poll
“I wish to dedicated my victory at the State/National Assembly Elections Petition Tribunal to God and the electorates of Abi/Yakurr Federal Constituency whose mandate the tribunal restored today.
“While thanking the esteemed people of Abi and Yakurr for the confidence invested in me and their steadfastness throughout the duration of the case, I wish to particularly commend the tribunal Chairman and members for dispensing justice in the matter, thereby restoring the stolen mandate of the people of Abi/Yakurr Federal Constituency.
“The tribunal indeed affirmed that power belongs to the people.
“I remain resolute to my avowed commitment to delivering topnotch service to the people inline with my preestablished Legislative Agenda”.